Sunday, January 31, 2010

Business Trip to UK and Vienna

I just returned from a 2 week business trip to London, Manchester and Vienna. It was about 0 to 5 degrees Celcius in UK and -7 in Vienna. It was cold for our heated Hong Kong blood.

In Vienna, our client took us on a walking tour of the city for 3 hours the 1st night we arrived so we got to see lots of the typical Vienna sights.


Nevermind the torture of walking in that cold, I actually enjoyed seeing all the stuff instead of sitting in a hotel restaurant or checking emails in the hotel room.

We saw Mozart's apartment, the City Hall with all the ice skating and food stalls in front, St Stephan's cathedral, and the main city center of shopping.

Diane and I were excited to see snow on Tuesday, despite the cold.




Back to UK on Tuesday
After Vienna, I headed back to London with Sue for more client meetings and Nicole joined us from Hong Kong. My client meetings were done on Thursday and my boss flew home and me and Nicole and Diane stayed behind in London for some sightseeing together.

We saw Phantom of the Opera on Thursday night and had some pub food of toad in the hole (sausages in mini yorkshire puddings), fish and chips, pie and mulled spiced wine. A meal that was toooo greasy.

This was Nicole's 1st time in London so we did the walk past Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Parliament and all those traditional sights.

Diane and I had gotten used to the cold after being in Vienna, but Nicole had just arrived from Hong Kong so was freezing in her heavy fur lined jacket.

My last stop before coming home was Camden Market which to me felt like Portland Saturday Market with more of a punk feel than the Bohemian feel of Portland.

Lots of pasty shops every where you go. I thought of the Peterson's and if I could've stuffed more food in my belly, I would've tried a few.

One of Mark's pet peeves is when a Brit asks if you "fancy" something, so I thought of him as I left Heathrow airport and this was the last sign before getting on my plane.

No comments: