Last Monday, May 12th, was the huge earthquake in Sichuan Province in China and although it's been a week, there's still lots of news about it and in fact, I just read this evening that a man was pulled alive from a crumbled building after 8 days! Reports are that at least 30,000 people have died and some reports are saying up to 50,000. Very very sad.In Hong Kong, Mark and I were on the MTR subway coming back from grocery shopping when the earthquake hit so we didn't feel anything. Mark got an email from his Shanghai office
alerting us to the quake and letting him know the Shanghai office had been evacuated. It wasn't harmed though.Some of my co-workers who live up near the Shenzhen border say they felt a little shaking, but we didn't feel much in Hong Kong. There are fund drives all over (at the grocery stores, post office etc) and there was a moment of silence all over on Monday which is traditional 7 days after a catastrophe like this.
On a happier note, we have had some exciting happenings this week. I went to Ocean Park for the first time on Sunday with Rob and Alexis while Mark was at Cantonese class.
We saw the Panda bears which is the big attraction. Also, dolphins, seal lions etc and there are also roller coasters and other rides. Doesn't compare to Six Flags rides though. Sadly Rob and Alexis will be leaving us soon since Alexis is getting transferred to Switzerland in July so i'm trying to squeeze in as much time as possible before they leave and then we'll just have to visit them in Switzerland which sounds pretty good.
Cockroach RepulsionLastly, we had a disgusting experience last night which is unfortunately quite common in Hong Kong. It was raining and that's when the cockroaches head indoors and I found a huge one in our hallway. Ewwwww. I caught it in a tupperware dish and made Mark throw it out the window of our 27th floor apartment (some poor person on a lower floor might have gotten it flying in their open window, oh well) This was especially nervewracking because it was exactly 1 minute after I found a worm crawling out of one of foster kittens rearends. I am repulsed by our apartment living conditions sometimes and it just makes me feel itchy.
No comments:
Post a Comment